Monday, May 23, 2011

Week 7: Psalm 62:5-8

Psalm 62:5-8: For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him.  He only is my rock and salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.  On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock.  My refuge is God.  Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.  Selah.

  1. Wait in silence.  How often do we miss the whisper in the wind where the Spirit speaks to us?  We’re so caught up in “noise” that our minds are filled with a static that blocks what God is saying to us, either through His Word or through the gentle prompting of the Spirit.  We must wait in silence sometimes in order to listen.
  2. He only is my rock and salvation, my fortress.  There is none other but God who is our firm foundation, built solidly on the rock and unmovable.  This fortress will not shake when the world rumbles around it, for God is my hope, my fortress, my rock, my salvation, my glory.  What can cause Him to quake?  What can move His foundation?  He is my refuge and the only certainty in life’s uncertainties.
  3. Always trust in God, when life is rosy and wonderful, and even more so when it’s difficult and rough.  He will never fail us.  More so, He wants us to pour our hearts out before Him, confessing our fears, our aspirations, our deepest desires.  He listens to us, and when we have no words, the Spirit intercedes with groanings too deep for words (Romans 8:26) on our behalf!  How awesome is it that the Creator of the Universe wants us to pour our hearts out before Him!
  4. Selah.  Unsure exactly of this words meaning, I like the interpretation of “pause and reflect.”  Think about this psalm.  Think about the promises made by God's constant refuge.  Take comfort in God’s constant provision and stronghold.  Praise Him for His love for us. 
 This passage was particularly difficult for me to memorize because I kept singing the "Psalm 62" song by Shane & Shane in my head as I did.  While the song is pretty much the same words, it's a different translation and some additional stuff.  Check it out, if you've never heard the song.  And if you like, listen to the rest of their catalog.  Great stuff all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment