Monday, May 16, 2011

Week 6: Psalm 56:4,5

Psalm 56:4,5: When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.  What can flesh do to me?
  1. We have no reason to ever be afraid of anything other than God.  He alone is worthy of fear.  Everything else is as nothing compared to the Creator, especially flesh.  As long as we serve God through following His Son, then the Spirit dwells within us and God sees us as His children.  From this, God is a loving God who no doubt loves His children, and there is nothing that can be done to separate us from God’s love.  Thus, there is no reason to fear.
    1. Of course, we're human, and we cannot truly rid ourselves of fear.  Even the disciples were plagued by their humanity, calling out "It's a ghost!" when they saw Jesus walking on water.  Still, if we accept the fact that God is the only thing to fear, this will help us.
  2. Honestly, even if we endured 80 years of torture and excruciating agony, isolation, and abuse but we still had Jesus, what is 80 years?  It’s nothing compared to the glory of eternity with God.  So what can flesh do to us?  Nothing.  In the eternal view, this life is not even a dot on the infinite timeline of God's Will.
Humorously, I memorized this passage by creating a simple little rap in my head.  It seems to break down perfectly for rhyme/rhythm.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know... 80 years of torment could really work a guy over... granted, there's nothing God couldn't heal, but one would have to wonder how open a person would be to dealing with God after He allowed 80 years of torment...

    You = The Man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, Dave. It would certainly be trying, but that's only because we cannot see past this present life. In the Grand Scheme, 80 years is not even a drop in the bucket.

    If anything, I think most often we feel entitled to thinking life should be fair and rather pleasant for us, when in fact we're just setting up false expectations. For this worlds isn't our home, and we're just pilgrims here, waiting to go home.

    Of course, this is all in the ideal and hypothetical. I can't say how in the world I'd react if I had to suffer for Christ. I only hope that I'd have the strength to stand. I mean, Jesus told us to pick up our cross and follow Him. That's not gonna be an easy walk, but in the end, there's nothing here that's gonna top the glory waiting in God.

    ReplyDelete